Burning the Turkey

The article written by Michael Mason

Thanksgiving has been done at my parents' house since before I can remember. Every year family members would gather at our house and eat turkey, mashed potatoes, and deviled eggs, all while watching the football game on my father's big screen TV. After the game and eating, we would all split into our groups and play games. The adults would go to the kitchen and play Texas Hold'em while the teenagers and kids played video games in the living room. After everyone left, my parents and I would sit down and watch Cable TV.

I remember it being so much fun. And now, traditions have changed. My brothers and I are finally out of our parents' house, starting our own lives with children, and now they've deemed it our responsibility to throw Thanksgiving dinner. Unfortunately for me, I'm the only girl, so my brothers have dropped the Thanksgiving bomb right on my head. Don't get me wrong, I'm really excited to have Thanksgiving at my house. I'm just a terrible cook. So I hope I don't burn the turkey.

To be honest, I'll probably end up making Thanksgiving at my house like a potluck; make everyone bring a tray. This indubitably means that I'll ask my mom to cook the turkey herself and I'll take on an easy task like pre-packaged mashed potatoes. Or maybe I'll buy a cake from the grocery store.
No, I have officially decided that since Thanksgiving is at my house, my brothers are cooking everything. That'll show 'em whose house Thanksgiving should be at.

Post a Comment

0 Comments