Rude Awakening

Guest post of the week by Deangelo Spencer

I went to see my accountant this year, and I was in for kind of a rude awakening. First of all, I hadn’t been claiming a proper number of allowances at work, so I owed a good bit of money on my taxes. Secondly, he started asking all kinds of questions about my savings and retirement plans and…well, I had to tell him I didn’t really have either. He looked at me very seriously and informed that I was in a pretty terrible financial situation. The good news is, I’m young enough that I can still change that. He helped me a little with a plan to save money, and he had all kinds of tips for me. He told me never to buy brand name on any product, and to shop (reputable!) discount websites for things like vitamins and my dog’s flea medicine. Little things, definitely, but they all add up! He also told me to check out this website and make sure I was getting the best rates for my natural gas and electricity! As it turns out, we can choose our own providers in Texas. It took me no time at all, and I’m seeing a savings every month. A savings that I’m not depositing directly in my new savings account.


Post a Comment

0 Comments