WTOP Lends a Hand in Unique Marriage Proposal!


Washington, D.C.  WTOP recently helped a local listener utilize a commercial on the station to help pop the question to his girlfriend.



Mark Brill and his now fiancée Phyllis Liebman had a romantic, sunrise engagement on Bethany Beach, Delaware while live streaming WTOP.  Liebman believed they were listening to WTOP because her employer MRP Realty had purchased advertising and she was tasked with verifying that the commercials aired.  MRP Realty was a willing participant in playing along with the surprise.

 “I saw her for the first time at a Kastles tennis match on July 16, 2012,” said Mark Brill.   “She was at the concession stand, I basically said hi.  Later, I saw her sitting behind me and it looked like she was looking at me.  I did get up the never to give her my business card and said if she wasn’t dating anyone to call me and we could grab a beer.  It took her over a week to call me.  Our first date was in August.  That’s when I found out she wasn’t looking at me but she was staring at Michelle Obama who was seated a few rows opposite me.  Good thing I was a little over confident that day.”

WTOP Sales Manager Skip Quast played an important role - helping Brill produce the spot and ensuring that it aired at the precise time the sun was rising.

Quast said, “We get a lot of businesses calling in for advertising information but when I received a call in May from Mark asking if he could buy time to propose to his girlfriend, it was a first.  He explained how WTOP was his favorite station and said he was planning to ask her in August.  I let him know we might be able to help him out and asked him to give me a call when he was ready.  Wasn’t sure I would hear back from him but he called again in July.  He set a date.  We got him into the studio to cut his proposal and arranged for it to air at 6:07 a.m. Saturday, August 8th.  It really is a feel good story and I am happy we were able to help and make it a special day for both of them.  Best wishes Mark & Phyllis!”

The full paid commercial and a photo of the newly engaged couple are attached.

About WTOP
WTOP Radio has served the Washington region since 1926 and has been Washington’s all-news radio station since 1969. WTOP is available on 103.5 FM in the D.C. metro, 103.9 FM in Frederick, 107.7 FM to the South and on any mobile device atWTOP.com. WTOP and its sister station Federal News Radio are owned and operated by Hubbard Radio, LLC.

Post a Comment

0 Comments